I have some sewn items completed from my very ambitious plans. I made the boy a shirt.
and I made the girl a dress.
They turned out great! I made the shirt first, it took was completed in 3 morning sessions. It took 3 instead of 2, like the dress, because of a serger malfunction. Half way through the second sleeve cuff one of the needles broke. It was very frustrating because I had recently changed needles and I didn’t have any backups. That being said it might have been inserted incorrectly and maybe that’s why it broke. I have replaced the needles before though with no problems. I couldn’t get to JoAnn’s for more until Saturday so I just finished the cuff with a zigzag. I could have still used the serger with a three thread over lock stitch, but I don’t like how that stitch looks.
The dress was stitched all on the sewing machine using the lightning stitch. I trimmed all seams to 1/4 inch and coverstitched the hem, as I did with boy’s shirt. The dress was much faster! I should make everything in two’s. hahahaha
I brought my makes to work with me yesterday to show my friends and I finished the last item, the buttons. They are really cute, I got them from Hobby Lobby, they are typical covered buttons. The set had dinosaurs and coordinating prints and I only had to buy one set because the polka dot button worked perfectly for the dress. Double score because sewology items were 50% off last week. The buttons really make both garments pop.
It was too cute when my son saw his shirt he growled and said “Dino-war” (his word for dinosaur). I love all his mixed up words!
Next time more makes for the contest!
Much kindness to you and yours,